I grew up in Shanghai and moved to the U.S. when I was in highschool. During my undergrad studying New Media Interactive Development at RIT, I got to learn about FOSS and free culture movements through a unique program. After graduation, I worked at Helios Interactive (acquired by Freeman) in SF, building AR/VR installations, and loved going to Noisebridge hackerspace. I moved back to Shanghai in 2018 and worked as a freelancer out of Xinchejian, exploring multiple directions - software consulting, new media art, and teaching. After running into 80000hours, my attention shifted toward helping understand and reduce AI Risk.
I’m part of Merveilles, a solarpunk community of creators who like longtermism, transhumanism, decentralization, civic empowerment, and dressing in all black.
Some ideas I hold on to.
- Joy and play are both powerful means to an end, and end-in-themselves.
- Optimize toward needing less, rather than gaining more.
- Prioritize effectiveness over efficiency.
- Technology is the active human interface with the material world.
- Be at peace with myself.
- Make the world a better place.
For more concrete goals and goal-seeking behaviors, see my now page.